29 Jun May 2014 Newsletter
Two specials this month, but be quick- limited stocks on both of these!
Plus the chance to sign up to our special wine club Bordeaux Bespoke!
CHATEAU DE SAURS, GAILLAC ROUGE
“LA CONSTANCE” 2009
One of our best sellers but not much left so time to say good-bye and move on to the next vintage!
Terroir: Galliac is a small appellation north of Toulouse ( map ). It is considered a rapidly improving region, driven by small independant producers such as Chateau de Saurs.
Grapes: A blend with Merlot, Syrah and Braucol in equal measure
Tasting notes : A deep red ruby-garnet colour, and a very attractive bouquet of cherries, blackcurrants, and some spicey notes. A balanced, round, elegant wine revealing subtle soft tannins, would be a good accompaniment to meat and cheese or an open fire!
This is a wine of very good quality at this price.
This wine was awarded a Silver medal at the Concours National des Vignerons Independants 2010.
Normally $24, reduced to $19.50 until stocks exhausted. Call us on 02 60206016or to purchase online. Type in code RMAY14 to receive your discount.
CHATEAU DE LA BOUYERE, BORDEAUX BLANC 2012
This is also one of our best sellers and the 2012 vintage is nearly all gone. Drinking very well. Be quick!
Region/Terroir: AOC Bordeaux Blanc
Grapes: Semillon (80%), Sauvignon Blanc (20%)
Our Tasting notes: Lovely pale golden colour . An expressive nose with fragrances of citrus and tropical fruits The mouth is harmonious and fruity with a great round, rich mouth feel due to the ageing on fine lees. Delicate and balanced. A lovely wine at this price.
Here’s some typical feed-back on this wine : “One of the best white wines I have had in a long time. Incredible value and great with Bangalow pork belly” Jan Brisbane December 2013.
Normally $21.50, reduced to $17.50 to clear the decks for the new vintage. Call us on 02 6020 6016 or to purchase online. Type in code WMAY14 to receive your discount.
Our exclusive wine club: Bordeaux Bespoke
Bordeaux Bespoke is the name of our wine club offering premium wine packs and access to special wine and food events.
As a member of Bordeaux Bespoke you will also have access to our additional bespoke wine services set out below.
“Bespoke: made to individual order, custom-made”
The aim is to provide flexibility in your choices.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SIGN UP FOR THIS QUARTER’S PACK PLEASE CLICK HERE OR CALL US ON 02 6020 6016. YOU WILL BE ASKED YOUR PREFERENCE FOR 3, 6 OR 12 BOTTLES EACH QUARTER AND WHETHER ALL WHITE, ALL RED OR A MIX.
WHAT MEMBERSHIP OF BORDEAUX BESPOKE BRINGS YOU:
- Premium wine packs: hand-selected wines from Bordeaux and the south-west of France. 3, 6 or 12 bottles every 3 months depending on budget/wishes. These will be premium wines -average price per bottle $40-$60, which are then discounted from regular on-line prices. Some wines will be cheaper than this if exceptional quality/price and the price of that pack will be lower. We will only charge the discounted prices. You can select all white, all red or a mixture.
- 10% discount on reorders of Wine Club wine.
- Allocations to premium parcels (sometimes we are given only very small allocations of particular wines).
- Priority allocation and special offers on new wines as they arrive from France.
- Professional tasting notes including suggestions for cellaring times and food matches.
- Priority access to wine dinners and tasting events.
- Invitations to members’ only tastings/events featuring our premium wines.
- Monthly e-newsletter (or option of receiving a copy by regular post).
- Referral program – $25 off your next order if you introduce someone to the club!
There are some outstanding wines in the May 2014 pack, including:
- Rollan de By 2008 (Médoc Cru Bourgeois). This wine is being served on Air France A380 business class cabin and this week named “Wine of the Week” by Australian wine writer Winsor Dobbin. “The price of some of the more prestigious Bordeauxs has put them beyond the reach of mortals with budgets; but there is still some great “claret” available to those without a black American Express card. This is a case in point, a very impressive Cru Bourgeois from the ever-growing stable of Jean Guyon, who also owns the renowned Chateau Greysac. This Medoc blend of merlot, cabernet sauvignon and petit verdot is soft and understated without any hints of greenness. There are moccha and ripe fruit aromas while the medium-bodied palate is blessed with an appealing structure with dark blackcurrant and restrained oak to the fore. Perfumed and elegant, it was an excellent match for a beef casserole. I liked this a lot.” Usually $59, this goes into the pack at $53
- Marsac Séguineau 2010 (Margaux) . This is an excellent wine from the Margaux appellation from the acclaimed 2010 vintage. James Suckling gave this wine 92 points and Wine Spectator said “Solidly built, with notes of singed vanilla bean and a flicker of espresso framing the core of plum, red currant and steeped cherry fruit. Toasty but sleek, with a perfumy edge that weaves through the finish. Best from 2014 through 2024. 5,215 cases made (90 points).” Ready to enjoy or pop some in the cellar. Usually $49, this goes into the pack at $43. This wine is exclusive to our Bordeaux Bespoke members.
- Grand Bateau Bordeaux Blanc one of very few white wines produced in the Médoc (if it was from Graves it would probably sell for 2 or 3 times the price.) Made by the same team that produces grand cru red at Chateau Beycheville. It has attracted 2 great reviews from Australian reviewers to date including 91 points by Mike Frost recently in Courier Mail. Great value which means we are happy to include in our packs although well below the usual pack price.This wine is simply delicious. Usually $24.50 it’s in the pack for $22.
The above 3 pack would usually sell for $132.50, but would be charged out for $118 if you chose to sign up for a 3 bottle mixed red and white pack.
If you would like to sign up for this quarter’s pack please click here or call us on 02 6020 6016. You will be asked your preference for 3, 6 or 12 bottles each quarter and whether all white, all red or a mix.
We are participating in several dinners and festivals in coming months. See our events page for details.